Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Marti, Marlene and Mother

In her memoir, singer Eileen Farrell remembers the time she and a friend, Shirley Cowell, were invited by Marti Stevens' mother, Pansy Schenck, to catch Marlene's show in Miami .

[Marti Stevens]
(Pansy's husband was one-time 20th Century-Fox executive, Joe Schenck.):
"Now, I don't think Pansy had much of a clue about what any of her children were up to, but I thought she must have heard the rumours that Marti was having an affair with Marlene Dietrich, because it was fairly common gossip in show business circles.
The show was absolutely fabulous, even though Marlene couldn't sing worth a damn. Afterward, the three went backstage to meet Dietrich. Pansy introduced herself:
'Hello,' she said, 'I'm Mrs Joe Schenck. I think you know my daughter, Marti.'
There was a perfectly timed pause. Then Marlene said with a knowing smile, 'Oh yes. I do.'
Shirley and I wanted to die right then and there. Pansy just kept chattering away, and I don't think she ever figured out  why Shirley and I were so tongue-tied."
 (From: Can't Help Singing: The Life of Eileen Farrell, by Eileen Farrell and Brian Kellow. UPNE, 1999.)

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar