![]() |
The photo above is the panorama of Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo. No need to admire my photography. It is impossible to take a bad picture of this view.
I have posted the view from my terrace many times and hope you are not tired of looking at it. I have owned this apartment for nearly 19 years, but still the first thing I do upon rising every morning is to look at this.
![]() |
| Dawn from my sitting room |
To me, the height of relaxation and elegant decadence is to go out for breakfast. I do so every morning.
When I exit my front door, if I glance to my left, I see Dante.
![]() |
| What can be better than a place where they put up statues of poets? |
Here in Italy, breakfast for me means a cappuccino and a pastry. Just around the corner is one of the loveliest places for la piccolo collazione: Rivoire.
| Ones pays up at the cashier, two euros, seventy for coffee and a pastry. about a dollar less than a small, tasteless cappuccino at Starbucks in NYC |
| The hardest part of breakfast, choosing from among those yummies on the bottom shelf |
| One can sit at a table, but I take my pastry to the bar and order my coffee there, in the style of the Italians |
Let's take a look around the Piazza della Signoria as we leave Revoire.
![]() |
| I wish I could earn one mil for every picture taken in this piazza every day. |
![]() |
| The Palazzo Vecchio from ground level, on a rainy morning |
![]() |
| Close up of its entrance |
![]() |
| The Loggia dei Lanzi |
![]() |
| My favourite denizen of the Loggia, Benvenuto Cellini's Perseus with the head of Medusa. |
![]() |
| Neptune, looking great in the morning sunshine |
On the way home, I might need to stop for something at the local store. It's on the short narrow street that runs past my front door.
Before going inside my house, let's take a look at the Mercato al Porcellino, a few feet from the front door.
| During the day, the market features typical Florentine tourist purchases, clothing and leather goods of good quality. |
| Every evening, the merchants of the market pack up their goods and roll their carts to a nearby storage. Here is how it looks by night. |
Just across from the market and directly across from my front door, there is this source of delightful temptation:
| Fabulous chocolates and wonderful gelato. |
On an ordinary day, I spend some time working at my computer:
In the afternoon, I will certainly go out for a coffee and a snack, perhaps to another favourite spot--Il Forno da Verrazano, three minutes walk away.
If I feel the need to stretch my legs, I can go on along the via Calzaiuoli for another two minutes and reach the Piazza del Duomo:
If, like today, I need to make a trip to the supermarket, there is one just five minutes in the other direction from my home.
![]() |
| The view south from my corner, with the Ponte Vecchio at the end. |
| Looking west from the Ponte Vecchio |
| The east view. Those arches on the left lead to the piazza in front of the Uffizi gallery, that stretches to the Piazza della Signoria. |
![]() |
| Returning from grocery shopping in the evening, over the Ponte Vecchio. That's the dome of the Duomo at the end |
Whenever I write for MIE while I am here, I think of one of my happiest weekends in Florence. I know you have seen this photo many times before, but I can't help posting it again. It's my favorite EVER picture of happy me here.
With memories like that and many more, surrounded by all this beauty, how could I not be happy? Besides, I've got the sun in the morning and the moon at night.


















0 Yorumlar